Tata Trusts – a philanthropic organisation that provides grants under their book development programme to publish new content in different languages for children in India – wanted to establish if their grant money was appropriately utilised by their publishing partners
- Which libraries, schools and children were buying books from these publishers?
- What was the total readership of children’s books in the country?
- What were the reading habits & preferences and favourite genres among children, schools and libraries?
- Over 400 telephonic interviews were conducted across India – with children, parents, schools, librarians, NGOs, book sellers, distributors
- To arrive at the total readership of children’s books, we analysed the number of readers per copy – of printed & e-books
- Based on our research, the client was able to channel their efforts in publishing new content in specific genres and languages
- Our insights into the sales patterns and pain points of book sellers, bulk buyers and distributors helped the client address these challenges thereby increasing the reach of children’s books